If you are thinking about painting the wall above a staircase, then you need safe ladders for stairs painting.
Let’s face it: Using a general ladder on your stairs can be tricky, not to mention using the ladder to paint. That means that if you want to paint on your stairs, then you will need a ladder for painting that is strong and safe enough.
And maybe this is probably your first painting on stairs, it’s natural not to know some of the best stair ladders for painting. In this post, I’m going to walk you through the entire process of getting the best ladders for stairs painting.
Let’s dive in.
Dangers When Using Ladders for Stairs Painting
Before we dive into the best stair ladders for painting, I’d like us to first go through some of the dangers you may encounter when using ladders for painting.
- Uneven floor surface – One of the biggest problems you’ll encounter when carrying out a painting assignment is an uneven floor surface. This brings about the risk of slipping and falling. It is advisable that you first check the size of the step before adjusting your ladder to fit the narrow space.
- Height – Most stairwells can be the height of two stories, which means that you will need to adjust the height of your ladder. This may lead you to overextend your ladder, which will force you to work at extremely higher heights. Working on very high heights increases your chances of slipping because as you stretch the ladder, your structural balance also weakens your stability.
- Limited space – In most cases, you will find that stairwells are very narrow, leaving you with limited space to carry out your duties. This is when you may try to overreach a specific point when painting and stand a chance of falling.
Combination Ladders for Stairs Painting
There are a few combinations of ladders for stair painting that you should know before we get down to the nitty-gritty of this post. Below are some of the combination ladders for stair painting:
Two-section ladders for stairs
These kinds of ladders have two sections – the ladder section, as well as the inner part. If you like, you can angle the two sections at the top to create something like a double-sided stepladder with a full stabilizer to increase your stability. Once that is done, you can secure it with a bolt and two nylon leashes to make sure that you have attained the right and safest angle.
Doing this makes it ideal to do your painting project because you will have attained a freestanding and narrow structure, though very stable. Also, if you are using these types of ladders on a staircase, you can raise your ladder and lock it in an inverted “y” shape, so that you can have an adjustable ladder.
Raising and locking your ladder allows the stabilizer to rest entirely on the surface and the extension feet to go higher steps, which will help you to access higher points with ease.
Three-section ladders for stairs painting
These types of ladders almost resemble the two-section ladders, fixed the same way, and give the same flexibility and benefits.
Now, unlike the two-section ladders, these types of ladders have a third section that you can extend to the top, which gives you an increased height to access higher points of work.
The best of all is that you can also extend this as a stepladder when you want to decorate landings, especially when you are working on higher points.
In case you need a combination ladder, no worries – you can still fit both models using a step platform to increase your comfort.
These types of ladders are the most suitable combination ladders in scenarios where you have minimal space, and you need to work on a short staircase.
Also, these types of ladders resemble the domestic double stepladders. They have a sliding mechanism, which is responsible for one side to rise and lock just like the other models I have discussed above.
The best of all is that these types of ladders are narrow, which means that they can fit thinner staircases. The sad news, though, is that these ladders lack a stabilizer, though they have splay feet at the base to ensure the best traction.
The last and final combination ladder is the multipurpose ladder. Now, these types of ladders have four different sections, with each section connecting to the next two hinges.
When you are not using these ladders, they fold up, which makes them easily portable and easy to store. If you want to open any of the sections, the locking catches will be depressed, releasing the hinge and giving it the freedom to move.
In some cases, you may realize that the hinge locks during rotation, thus creating a solid connection. If you need a better angle, you will repeat the process until you get your desired angle.
That said, these types of ladders can be assembled in several ways – from a painting platform to a straight ladder.
|Little Giant 12017||22 feet||300 lbs|
|Cosco Telescoping Multi-Position Ladder||18 feet||300 lbs|
|TOPRUNG Extension Multi-Purpose Ladder||17 feet||300 lbs|
|Little Giant 14013-001 Model 17||15 feet||250 lbs|
|TOPRUNG Model-17 ft||17 feet||300 lbs|
|Little Giant Velocity Multi-Use Ladder||17 feet||300 lbs|
|Little Giant 15109-001||10 feet||300 lbs|
|Little Giant Ladder Systems 14646-001||6 feet||300 lbs|
|Little Giant Ladders 10121 SkyScraper||21 feet||300 lbs|
|Little Giant Velocity Adjustable Folding||17 feet||300 lbs|
Top 10 best Ladders for Stairs Painting
Honestly, you need a powerful tool for a brilliant job. The Little Giant 12017 ladder is designed to complete tasks and also one of the best ladders for stairs painting.
Sure this ladder for stairs painting was designed to meet all your needs. The Quad-Lock hinge, as well as the Rock Locks, makes it easier and quicker for the adjustment of height and position. Even more, the Glide and Tip wheels allow for the movement of the ladder from one point to another.
Are you worried about uneven surfaces? That shouldn’t be a problem, especially when you are using this ladder. The Little Giant 12017 has ratchet leg levelers, which gives you the freedom to adjust the legs of the ladder whenever you want, thus giving the ladder more stability on uneven surfaces. Plus, the ladder has retractable legs that offer another 8 inches of leveling adjustment.
Additionally, the Little Giant ladder is designed to help you complete your stairs painting projects as fast as possible and in an efficient manner. You can adjust the ladder to the angle of your choice, depending on the nature of the task.
Finally, the ladder can accommodate up to 300 lbs and meets all the requirements and guidelines set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), as well as American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
- Multi-purpose ladder
- Twenty percent lighter
- Provides easy adjustments
- Quad lock hinges for stability
- Wheels for increased portability
- It can reach up to a maximum height of 22-ft.
- This ladder has multiple configurations – ninety degrees ladder, A-frame, extension, as well as trestle-and-plank.
- It has a quad-lock hinge that is responsible for locking the ladder to increase your stability.
- It has wheels that offer convenience, which means that you can easily move the ladder from place to place.
- Offer lifetime warranty, which gives you a peace of mind.
- Its ability to accommodate up to 300 lbs makes it a two-person ladder.
- Limited warranty
- Poor customer service
- Fairly heavy
- Some quality issues upon delivery
Cosco 18 ft Reach Aluminium is one of the best ladders for stairs painting that you can easily use.
One of the advantages of this ladder is that it has five different positions to give you any lofted space you may need while working. Also, this ladder can reach a maximum height of 18 feet and can accommodate up to 300 pounds.
Even more, Cosco’s components are of the highest quality, which means that you will be getting value for your money even if you choose to buy this ladder. The ladder is designed using the aircraft aluminum, so you can rest assured of durability.
Sadly, you may not love the weight. Many people have left reviews stating that the ladder is heavy and can be inconveniencing to carry from one place to another. All the same, if you will not be moving from one place to another, the Cosco ladder is just the perfect ladder for stairs painting.
- They are built with high-quality.
- It can carry up to 300 pounds.
- The Cosco ladder is convenient because it has five ladders in one – the stairway ladder, step ladder, scaffold, wall ladder, as well as the extension ladder.
- This ladder is for commercial grade
- You can worry less about slipping and falling while working because this ladder has slip-resistant rungs and feet.
- The patented hinge, as well as the large spring lockings, makes the Cosco ladder secure for use.
- This ladder is easy to use as you can convert it to any position you want.
- The Cosco ladder is bulky and inconveniencing to carry.
TOPRUNG Model – 17 ft extension ladder is one of the best ladders for stairs that has five different stops for versatility maximization.
Additionally, this ladder can reach up to a maximum height of 17 feet and accommodate up to 300 pounds as it is made of aluminum. Because of the aluminum material, this ladder is sturdy and lightweight, which means it is easily portable, plus you can easily store it.
Your safety is guaranteed with this ladder because its feet are built from sturdy non-slip rubber, which will prevent slipping of the ladder and falling.
The warranty is also another reason why you should prefer the TOPRUNG ladder. You will get a warranty of two years and the manufacturer will be responsible for any damage within that time frame.
Sadly, this ladder is pretty complicated, and you may find it challenging to use. If you are a beginner, this ladder will cause you nightmares as adjusting it will be a daunting task. Some customers have reported that this ladder may need a second person to leverage it.
- It has a non-slip rubber on its feet, which limits accidents during work.
- This ladder can accommodate up to 300 pounds.
- It is built of aluminum, which makes it durable.
- The ladder is ready to use
- This ladder is hard to adjust.
I’m guessing you’re in dire need of a ladder, and as such, a durable one. Little Giant 14013-001 is an aircraft aluminum ladder with a secure construction, meaning your safety is guaranteed while working on it.
With the wide-flared legs, working on this ladder becomes dead simple. You don’t have to be nervous about your safety again. It is lightweight and portable, which means you can easily move around with it. Shifting it from one place to another becomes even more comfortable with the wheels at the bottom of the ladder.
Its flexibility makes it the perfect choice for stairs, docks, ramps, curbs, or uneven surfaces. It is made of heavy-wall aluminum while at the same time remains to be portable due to its lightweight. It is the right choice for medium-weight jobs because it can hold up to 250 pounds.
If you desire to have a ladder that can serve multiple purposes, go no further because the Little Giant ladder will provide the versatility you need. It comes with 24 different configurations, all in one compact design.
- Holds up to 250 pounds
- Attractive design.
- The ladder is quite affordable.
- The ladder meets the standards set by OSHA, ANSI.
- It has a lifetime warranty.
- Slightly heavy
Toprung 17 feet ladder acquired this title from a professional manufacturer with 20 years of experience in building quality ladders. He has also come up with diverse varieties of ladders, including the Telescopic Ladder, Combination Ladder, Fiberglass Step Ladder, Multi-Purpose Ladder, and work interface with over 30 specifications.
Toprung is renowned for producing high-quality ladders; all of their products go above and beyond the international standards. This has made them the best-selling ladder company across the world.
To enhance the durability of your ladder, make sure that you store in a cool, dry place to avoid rusting. You should also store the hinges away from dirt and other contaminants that could interfere with its efficiency. Also, for safety purposes, ensure that you replace the inner and outer feet when necessary.
- Made of aircraft-grade aluminum for stability and durability.
- It exceeds international standards, such as ANSI.
- You can configure it into five different ways for any type of job. You can as well adjust the steps to your preferred height with the fully-extended frames.
- The wider rungs and slip-resistant feet come in handy for stability and comfort.
- Its compact storage design makes it perfect for limited space.
- It’s suited for industrial work due to its heavyweight.
- It requires a maximum of two people to ensure no damage.
Little Giant Velocity ladder is one of the best ladders for stairs painting. This ladder is made of a special alloy that makes it twenty percent lighter. This means that portability should be the least of your worries.
This ladder also simplifies your work with the new features added to it like the dual-pin hinge, as well as the Rock Locks, to help you adjust the ladder as quickly as possible.
Little Giant Velocity ladder can be used in different configurations – staircase, A-frame, 90-degree ladder, as well as extension.
Because of its wide legs, and with the fact that it is made of aerospace aluminum, rest assured of safety and stability when working on stairs painting projects. Also, the ladder can accommodate up to 300 pounds on both sides, which makes it a two-person ladder.
- Little Giant velocity ladder meets OSHA and ANSI standards
- The ladder can carry up to 300 pounds
- It is a two-person ladder
- The ladder is easy to set up and adjust
- This ladder is portable
- The accessories issued during the purchase are not compatible in most cases.
Do you feel nervous using a ladder? You don’t have to. With the patent-pending Select Step, your safety is fully guaranteed. It has a secure standing platform that prevents foot fatigues as well as toppling over during work.
Additionally, the ladder has an AirDeck workstation, which comes in handy with a handrail that ensures additional stability while preventing dizziness. The AirDeck helps you focus on whichever activity you’re working on, thus efficiency.
The ladder is made from the lightweight material, although it is rated heavy duty. It has Select Step ranging from 6 to 10 feet, meaning you can adjust to any height of your choice. And, because both sides slide together, you can safely use it on the staircase as well as lumpy surfaces. You can also use it to reach high surfaces.
- The ladder is made of long-lasting material.
- The Select Steps are safe and secure.
- It is highly portable due to its lightweight.
- The hinge locks are weak.
Again, the QuickStep is a one-stop product for in-home, professional, and commercial requirements. It has an adjustable A-frame ladder with exceptionally deep rungs and wide-flared legs for stability. For stairs and bumpy surfaces, Little Giant 14646-001 works exceptionally well.
The ladder also includes the no-pinch Comfort Step that enhances your safety during work. Just as the name suggests, the Comfort Step reduces foot fatigue, and as such, it is the recommended place to stand on a ladder. The Comfort Step handle allows you to set-up and fold your ladder without hurting your fingers.
To adjust your ladder to your preferable height, engage the Rock Locks fully into the intended rung holes. Using the Grip Handle, you can also select your desired height by rotating the handle to disentangle the lock pins. You can find this handle at the rear of the back legs.
- The ladder features the no-pinch Comfort Step, which is a recommended place to stand while working.
- The Comfort Step also helps to reduce foot fatigue.
- It works perfectly on the staircase and bumpy surfaces.
- It has too many instructions.
While most ladders fall short, the Little Giant SkyScraper goes above and beyond. It is one of the tallest Little Giant’s A-frame ladders with a maximum height of 21 feet, making high-ceiling work dead simple.
For industrial requirements, auditoriums, churches, and gymnasiums, the SkyScraper comes in handy. It is an ideal choice for a stadium setting or even conferences. Its portability and flexibility make it easier to move around as it is less bulky compared to the other ladders.
- It is the right choice for a staircase, stadium setting, and lumpy surfaces.
- It is portable.
- It provides maximum stability.
- They are fit for industrial use.
- Easy storage
- Quite heavy
In need of a versatile ladder? The Little Giant ladder is a multi-purpose ladder that prioritizes your safety. It comes in handy with the dual-pin hinge and a wide-flared base for maximum stability.
Its flexibility makes it perfect for any staircase as you can configure it into 33 different ways. Also, with the full extensions, you can use it as an A-frame ladder for any activity.
It is made from aircraft-grade alloy, which makes it 20 percent lighter than any other ladder. It can be easily moved from one place to another because of the wheels on the legs.
As mentioned earlier, the ladder is fit for any job, meaning you can use it for home management activities, including cleaning the gutters, painting the staircase, repairing the ceilings, among others.
- It has a dual-pin hinge and wide-flared base that ensures maximum stability as well as your safety while working.
- It has full extensions and multiple configurations, making it perfect for any job.
- Since you can configure in 33 different ways, you can avoid unnecessary accidents by using the right ladder for the right job.
- It is fully-extended, which means you can use it to reach some of the toughest heights, including the roofs or even ceilings.
- It is recommended for industrial use as it exceeds all OSHA and ANSI standards.
- Somewhat heavy
When we began, your biggest worry was finding the best ladders for stair painting. Having given you the full list, plus additional insights, you can now go ahead and get your stair ladder for painting.
Choosing the best ladder for painting doesn’t have to be a daunting task. All you need is to set your priorities right. Once you have defined your preferences, choosing the best ladders for stair painting will be more straightforward than you can imagine.
Note: When you purchase something after clicking links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. Read our Affiliate Disclosure for more details.